Bathurst Regional Council has put forward a proposed plan for a kart track adjacent to the camping area alongside Conrod Straight just prior to The Chase at the Mount Panorama circuit, Bathurst.
A kart track at Bathurst has been talked about for many years (at McPhillamy Park, and at the old drive-in theatre on Conrod), but nothing ever progressed past the planning stage.
This project is located on Council owned land on College Road, covering 8.9 hectares.
The development has proposed works of:
- Construction of 1000m long asphalt track, 8m wide including all associated infrastructure and furniture to meet National track standards
- Construction of a concrete pit area
- Construction of an acoustic mound to the eastern and southern sides of the track
- Supply, installation and commissioning of stormwater, subsoil, water, sewer, electrical and telecommunication infrastructure
- Site restoration and landscaping.
The estimated project construction cost is $4,729,940 including GST.
Public submissions in support of or against the plan opened today and must be lodged by Monday 11 December 2023. Submission information is HERE.
The local kart club, Bathurst Kart Club which was established in 2013, has a membership of around 200 people.
“The construction of the new kart racing track in Bathurst fits within the overall vision of the city” the club said in the Operating Plan. “Bathurst is a sporting town, and its facilities are well-known at local, national, and international levels.”
“A new kart racing track will mean Bathurst karters finally have a home after years of travelling across NSW and further afield to practice and compete.
“Bathurst has an opportunity to nurture local talent and support the development of the next generation of elite sportspeople from Mount Panorama. The track will cater for beginners up to professional drivers.”