A world-wide driver ranking system for karting is set to be developed by the FIA that will aggregate results from eligible karting events from around the globe.
The FIA World Motor Sport Council agreed to the creation and introduction of a computerised scoring system at it’s meeting in London last week.
“The system aims to federate the entire karting racing community and streamline the racing activities and results” FIA Karting published.
“It will take account of all levels of competition from FIA World Championships through to national events.
“It will also act as a safety tool for a driver’s level of experience. According to the number of points, the FIA can ascertain if a driver has a sufficient level of experience to move to the next level of competition. It will create a natural pathway for all members of the karting community.”
Other karting decisions to come the WMSC meeting include:
Driver Safety Equipment
- Implementation of new FIA Standard 8877-2022 for protective clothing (overalls, gloves and shoes) for FIA Karting competitors was approved
Awarding of Tyre Contracts
- MG will provide the “Prime” tyre for the FIA Karting World Championship and the FIA Karting European Championship – OK.
- Vega will provide the “Option” tyre for the FIA Karting World Championship and the FIA Karting European Championship – OK-Junior
- LeCont will provide the “Prime” tyres for the FIA Karting World Championship, the FIA Karting World Cup – KZ2, the FIA Karting European Championship Race of Spain – KZ, KZ2, the FIA Karting European Championship Race of Italy – KZ, KZ2 and the FIA Karting International Super Cup Masters – KZ2.
- Vega will provide the “Option” tyre for the FIA Karting Academy Trophy.