by Stuart Lee, LKC
A large contingent of Tasmanian karters has headed to the big island this week to test their driving skills against the best in Australia when they compete in the 2019 Victorian Kart Championship.
The three day meeting is being held at the Eastern Lions Kart Club near Puckapunyal which is just north of Melbourne.
Included in the Tasmanian contingent are a number of Launceston Kart Club members in Toby Callow, Alastair Lee, Jonty Darcy, Calvin Broad and Nathan Zuj.
The meeting is anticipated to be one of the largest meetings held this year with over 200 competitors due to travel from all over Australia.
Callow is the youngest of the group but is no stranger to the big meetings, having competed in numerous rounds of the Australian Kart Championships and won the 2016 Tasmanian Championship in Cadet 9.
Both Lee and Zuj are also former State title holders and will be aiming to bring some silverware home in their respective classes . Broad, who has been competing in rounds of the Australian kart Championship this year with the AWC Motorsport Academy, will be keen to show his improvement at the highest level. Jonty Darcy will be heading to the mainland for only the second time and competed at the Victorian Golden Power series the week before the state title.
In all 14 Tasmanian drivers will represent the state with quite a few in contention for a blue plate.
Full list of drivers:
- Jordan WICKHAM, Cadet 9 – Southern Tasmanian Kart Club
- Oliver WICKHAM, Cadet 9 – Southern Tasmanian Kart Club
- Toby CALLOW, KA4 Junior Light – Launceston Kart Club
- Elliot BELLARS, KA4 Junior Light – Southern Tasmanian Kart Club
- Jorja Edwards, KA4 Junior Light – North Western Kart Club
- Ethan WYLLIE, KA4 Junior Heavy – North Western Kart Club
- Fletcher Bellars, KA3 Junior – Southern Tasmanian Kart Club
- Patrick SHORT, KA3 Junior – Southern Tasmanian Kart Club
- Jonty DARCY, KA3 Senior Light – Launceston Kart Club
- Brody APPLEBY, KA3 Senior Medium – North Western Kart Club
- Alastair LEE, KA3 Senior Medium – Launceston Kart Club
- Nathan ZUJ , TaG 125 Light – Launceston Kart Club
- Calvin BROAD, TaG 125 Light – Launceston Kart Club
- Jonathan MCDONALD, TaG 125 Heavy – Southern Tasmanian Kart Club