RKA at Port Mac

by Kev ‘The Noise’ Davies

What a weekend that was and another new track for The Noise! This time I was calling all the action whilst some fuel was turned into Retro Noise with the DPE Kart Superstore Retro Karting Australia NSW State Titles at Port Macquarie Kart Club.

The atmosphere was electric, the racing was spectacular and both days racing were beamed live on the Retro Karting Australia Facebook page.

  • scroll to the bottom for image gallery
  • lots of driver interviews on The Noise Facebook HERE (then scroll down)
  • more photos HERE
  • video of the finals below. More videos HERE
  • NBN 9 News coverage HERE

It has to be said from the outset, Clubman Super Heavy stole the show. From the time they got into it with the four kart pole position shoot out, every heat & final were then the very best advert you could have for retro kart racing. Queenslander Phil Straughn got the win in the final but literally any one of five were in with a chance until the last two laps. Kurt Woodward ran him so close to come home second & for a moment there the rejuvenated “bearded wonder” Leigh Everitt thought about going for the win, but third it was in the end. Bruce Otter was competitive all day & ran them mighty close and it was a mechanical problem that saw Aaron Jackson drop back to 5th but still within 2 seconds of the winner!

Clubman Heavy saw Shaun Atherton turn a shocker Saturday into a winning Sunday, taking victory ahead of Luke Capozza who charged from a rear of grid start in the final all the way to second! Coming home third was Brad Trott.


Clubman Light was the biggest field of the day and once again Chris Sandrone showed his pace, taking a comfortable win. Ian Beeraz stayed with him for as long as he could, but in the end had to settle for second. Double duties on the weekend saw another podium for Shaun Atherton, coming home third in this one after a fabulous battle with Paul Hamilton.

F100 Light saw the omega kart pilot Michael Yeo take victory ahead of Paul Kendall. A mid-race incident resulted in an unfortunate DNF for the fast Mars Gheorghiu, and Darren Turner unfortunately stopped on the formation lap.

F100 Heavies saw Aaron Rintoul take victory by four seconds from his team mate Jason Pringle. Third went to Anthony Sutej.

Slow-mo, wheels up…