Karting News Briefs
karting news, information and entertainment, bunched together for your convenience...
- AIDKA SINGLES - AIDKA has introduced a "Single Event" race kart licence. This allows a potential competitor who has access to a kart to race, despite not holding a full licence. Drivers using the Single Event licence must start rear-of-field and the licence is not eligible for Title events. Single Event licence holders must be a member of an AIDKA affiliated club.
- THE PITS - How long does it take you to set up your pit space at the kart track? Here's a time-lapse video of the Italian Baby Race Team erecting their castle for the weekend at Lonato:
- BEFORE STARDOM - Here's a link to a James Courtney feature on the Sports Sunday program on channel 9 back in 1995 when James was 15 and racing karts. Watch it on YouTube HERE.
- FAMOUS - Lewis Hamilton got to meet his racing hero - Cadet 9 racer from Oakleigh kart club, Lewis Francis - at the recent Barcelona F1 test. Lewis spent time talking with Lewis and also signed a kart photo for him! Or have we got that around the wrong way...
- TAINE's TV - After recently being appointed Ambassador for Deaf Children Australia (see article HERE), Taine Venables was approached by ABC ME to do a TV series on him and his racing. Titled "The Ultimate Goal", filming commenced under closed track conditions at the Todd Road circuit last Wednesday. Further filming will take place before it airs a little later in the year. Also, one of Taine's sponsors, Red Earth Designs, has produced a racing website for him. Check it out at www.tainevenables.com.au
pic - Pace Images
Above: Taine with program host Tim Matthews who got to have a drive of Taine's kart (pic - Pace Images)
- LAD LID - Here are some photos of James Sera's latest helmet, an Arai GP-6 RC, painted by LA Designs. "The raw carbon is left as the black in this design with a blended Kandy blue metalflake. This thing really pops in the sun" said LA's Luke Hibberd. See more of LA Designs on Facebook HERE or website: ladesigns.com.au
Above: Sparkles under light
- EVENT - Promotional flyer for Toowoomba's "non-KA" race meeting. Ralph Van Doorn's RV Motorsports is sponsoring the Cadet 9 & 12 and Comer Challenge feature.
- PREP - How much effort do you put into kart preparation between race meetings? This is Skaife Ward's video:
- EURO - OMP has won the tender to supply overalls for all drivers participating in the CIK-FIA Karting Academy Trophy in 2017 and 2018. OMP will also supply clothing for the mechanics. That is one of the karting decisions reached at the March 9 meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council. Other decisions based on the proposals of the International Karting Commission are:
- Amendment of the Technical Regulations for an update with a view to clarifying and simplifying them.
- Confirmation of the 3-round CIK-FIA European Superkart Championship calendar::
- 4th June 2017, Donington (GBR)
- 6th August 2017, Assen (NLD)
- 29th October, 2017, circuit Bugatti, Le Mans (FRA)
- INDUSTRY - Western Canada’s CRG importer, CRG West, has been sold and is undergoing new management with new owners Justin and Chrissy Bayliff. The CRG West headquarters will move from British Columbia to Parkland County, Alberta, Canada, just outside of Edmonton. CRG West will continue to service the Canadian CRG dealer network and retail clientele. The team will also offer a race team program, trackside support and product sales both online and at the track.
- TRUTH - Wise words from KartPulse:
- CLUB/TRACK - Work on the Lithgow circuit started a bit late, but the club says if all goes to plan, it should be ready to re-open the weekend of March 25/26. Schedule update (weather dependant):
- Downer started work last Friday (March 10) with crack sealing and prep work
- Monday 13th March - Downer will repair sections of track that needed repair before new surface
- Tuesday 14th & Wednesday 15th - Downer will lay new surface
- Thursday 16th - Concrete contractor to start new ripple strips. This work will take about a week
- CELEBRATE - Those Sodi Kart drivers are flexible! Bas Lammers crosses the line to win KZ2, WSK Super Master Series round 2 last weekend:
(pic - Sodi PR)
- RESTRICTED TYRES - A tyre restriction has been placed on the NSW SunX 125 TaG Restricted Series. Competitors will only be allowed to fit new tyres for the first and third rounds of the four-round series. Tyres will be marked to ensure the correct rubber is used at rounds 2 and 4. NSW TaG R drivers, lead by Nicholas Crawshay, have banded together to create their own series for 2017, merging the series in with existing club meetings at tracks that aren't a long trip from Sydney. "The aim is to bring good, fun, low cost racing from the most competitive drivers in the two weight divisions" KartSportNews was informed. A set of tyres is raffled at each round, plus the winner of each round wins a set too. Series commences at Picton, see below.